In my fortune cookie...

Make TODAY beautiful because yesterday is already gone and tomorrow hasn't arrived yet!

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thanksgiving!

We had an impromptu Wednesday night in kids' church last night. I ended up doing a Thanksgiving themed service where we talked about a few people in the Bible that prayed for something and gave thanks when it happened, or before it happened. We talked about how even Jesus gave thanks for something.....so if Jesus gives thanks...we should, too.

Anyway..one of the "games" we did was an acrostic of the word THANKFUL. They had to take each letter and say I'm thankful for ____________, because God is _________________. One team would fill out the left side and then we passed them and another team had to fill out the right. Here are a couple that came out. :)

I am thankful for Teachers, because God is Thoughtful.
I am thankful for Hair, because God is Happy.
I am thankful for Abraham Lincoln, because God is Awesome.
I am thankful for Nurses, because God is Nice.
I am thankful for Ketchup, because God is Kind.
I am thankful for Family, because God is Faithful.
I am thankful for Umbrellas, because God is Unselfish.
I am thankful for Lives, because God is Legit.

There were allot more and some were really hilarious (like the ketchup one). But it made them stretch their minds to think of things they were thankful for that started with certain letters. The verses we used were from Psalms 100:4-5 were we are to enter into His gates with thanksgiving.....be thankful and bless His name. That doesn't mean to just thank Him for when we get what we ask for. We talked about how if it rains and cancels a ball game that we really wanted to go to....we could give thanks by saying, at least I'm not blind to where I can play board games with my friends. There is always SOMETHING we can be thankful for. In every circumstance and every situation....there is something to be thankful for. Even if its as simple as being thankful that we can breathe. :)

So have a great thanksgiving everyone.....and remember (as I told the kids).....always do your best to look on the positive. There is always someone who has it worse than you do.

No comments: